Safety is important when using essential oils, even more so while pregnant. Although there are plenty of ways to safely support women during pregnancy, there’s information I’d like to put out there:
- Extra care should be taken during the first trimester. Essential oils should only be used on occasion, when needed, and are not recommended for daily use.
- I stress the importance of very low dilutions through all stages of pregnancy. Guidance from a qualified aromatherapist or midwife is highly recommended to ensure the safety of ‘mom-to-be’ and child. Essential oils are absorbed into the body and as professionals, we assume that the constituents of essential oils can cross the placenta as does food, water, oxygen and drugs. We aim to minimize any effect on the embryo or fetus and blend at the minimal dose that will relieve the mother’s symptoms.
- Essential oils should always be diluted in a carrier oil and are not to be applied neat to any part of the body.
- Do not ingest essential oils or apply essential oils to the rectal or vaginal areas.
- Essential oils should be of the highest and purest quality. To ensure I have the purest and best quality essential oils I buy from distributors who provide me with oils tested with Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry (GC/MS) for every batch I purchase. The breakdown of the chemical components is essential to me when blending for my clients because the safety and therapeutic benefits are dependent by the chemical makeup. I blend by therapeutic property rather than by essential oil.
An aromatherapist can assist with choosing essential oils that are generally safe with a history of low toxicity. Along with that, an aromatherapist will be able to provide guidance to avoid all solvent extracts and poor-quality oils and can advise of essential oils that should be avoided completely throughout pregnancy.
Safe use of essential oils doesn’t stop at pregnancy. There are many situations where essential oil use may not be appropriate for mothers who are breastfeeding or for use with newborns and infants.
I am a Certified Aromatherapy Health Professional, Reflexologist and Reiki Master. I am a member of the International Institute of Reflexology, International Reiki Organization, Reiki Healing Association, Canadian Federation of Aromatherapists and National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy. My interest in aromatherapy started 10 years ago when I started making my own deodorant. From there, I started researching and making more of my own personal products. Soon afterwards I started making products for friends and decided I wanted to have the proper certification behind me. Today I make small-batch and custom skin care products, hair products, bath and body products and essential oil synergy blends for myself, friends and clients. Read more about my practice at www.mariafiordalisi.ca. You may contact me at 905-616-0751 or email@example.com.